EUDORA — Holy Family Parish here received a grant of $29,000 from the Douglas County Natural and Cultural Heritage Council for the restoration of stained-glass windows in the original Holy Family Church.
The church, at 301 E. Ninth St., was built in 1864 and added onto in 1897. It is the oldest Catholic church in Kansas still in use and listed on the National Historic Register.
The 18 current windows and 2 transoms were installed in 1943. Project plans include major restoration of six extensively damaged windows, repair of minor holes and cracks in eight windows, cleaning of all windows, removal of the windows to repair the openings, and installation of a vented frame system and clear protective coverings.
The total cost of the project is estimated at more than $80,000. The work is expected to be completed in early 2023.
For church tours, call the parish office between 9 a.m. and noon, Mondays through Thursdays, at (785) 542-2788.